Header Ads

PLAYSTATION STORE LIVE IN THE UK

Only after 48 hours of writting about our dodgy version of PS Store working with a Japanese account, we checked today and the UK PS Store for Xperia PLAY is now live. So what does it look like?

Playstation Store Opens for Xperia PLAY

So at this moment in time we do not know when the app is going to be made available to the general public or how it's going to be done either. We stumbled across our version from the XDA developers site (PS Store apk Download) which had been extracted from Sony's Tablet S so it is the real app. If you wanted to download it and try for yourself then you don't have to have a rooted device and it's just an APK you will need to have sonys latest 2.3.4 software for it to work. Anyway, so what have we found?

Having logged into my PSN account with this App I have discovered that my PS One classics that I purchased for my PSP and PS3 are not available. What I mean by that, is I have purchased Twisted Metal on PSN already but I have to buy it again for my Xperia PLAY which is slightly dissapointing. Also the games I already purchased via Market from Sony like Jumping Flash or Destruction Derby, again I have to pay for again. Oh well... I don't mind losing a bit of money sometimes, we here at XperiaGamer are happy to try things out from time to time.



The Buying Experience

So just by selecting UK and startign the app, I am presented to a selection of games which includes some we have not seen yet. These are; Twisted Metal 1, G -Police and Kurushi Final. When you select a game you get the information bit similar to PS Store on PS3 and then when you click to buy, you will presented by the log in screen for PSN. We have checked with our UK accounts and these are accepted absolutely fine. We are soo excited right now... PSN is finally on the PLAY. Naturally when you go to buy a game it conmtinues to look just like the PS3, asking you to add funds to your wallet and downloading after payment is completed.

So the game starts downloading as it normally would and installs absolutely fine. What I don't understand is that the Twisted Metal game is only 50MB and the secondary download is only just over 200MB. Have Sony compressed the games? They must have because that is all I have on my PLAY and the game is playing absolutely fine. When you open up the game, it will ask for your PSN account details again. This is just their version of DRM, but I wanted to see if this will happen everytime you want to play the game so I turned off my PLAY and tried again. It didn't ask for the PSN (Woohoo). So this means that you will be able to play your PSN games on the plane without having to worry about stupid DRM blockers.

i did check my PS Pocket app to see if the game popped up in here but no. So it looks like this will be phased out with the new system.

Games available now

Jumping Flash

MediEvil

Cool Borders 2

Jet Rider 2

Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter 3

Twisted Metal

Kurushi Final

G-Police (Xperia PLAY exclusive)

PSN on Xperia PLAY

So as said before in the last article, we cannot be sure how far Sony plan to go with the PSN integration for PLAY or the other Xperia devices. From this we can only know for sure that it matches up all of your purchases so if you have more than one PLAY or Tablet they can sync across. Which is a great start and an indication of perhaps some better PSN access in the future. Let's be honest, the Official Playstation app is a bit rubbish, maybe next year we will see functionality to chat with friends, add friends or even Remote PLAY on Xperia devices. Here's hope for the next year and a very bright future for Sony's Xperia PLAY.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.