Header Ads

I.B.M. Puts iPhone in the Lotus Position

Apple’s push to make the iPhone a desired device among the world’s largest companies should receive a boost this week thanks to I.B.M.

At long last, I.B.M. has issued software which will bring the e-mail, calendar and contacts functions handled by its Lotus Notes software over to the iPhone. Called iNotes Ultralite, the package will be free for anyone with a Lotus Notes license, and, as of last check, I.B.M. had moved about 140 million Lotus licenses. Lotus Notes remains popular among corporations.

Apple tends to celebrate the iPhone’s place as the latest and greatest mobile device for consumers. Such attention, however, does not diminish Apple’s hopes that corporations will pick up the product as well. After all, companies can drive bulk sales and will pay for the pricey data services tied to mobile devices. Just ask the BlackBerry and Treo set.

Business customers can already tap into their corporate e-mail with the iPhone if they use Microsoft Exchange and Outlook. In addition, you’ll find software like a mobile version of Salesforce’s business applications available on the Apple App Store.

For the moment, iNotes Ultralite works as a Web-only application where people will log into their e-mail and other Lotus Notes functions via Apple’s Safari browser. By going through the browser, customers access their data without leaving any information on the actual device – a plus should your iPhone go missing.

I.B.M. explained away its late arrival to the iPhone game, saying it wanted to focus on these types of security concerns before going after business customers.

“The other products aren’t actually encrypting the data on the devices,” said Kevin Cavanaugh, vice president of Lotus software at I.B.M. “I think we were concerned about the security aspect, and this turned out to be the best approach.”

The iPhone software from I.B.M. has been undergoing tests at about 20 businesses.

Even while paying attention to the flashy iPhone, I.B.M. maintains its closest relationship with Research in Motion, the maker of the BlackBerry. I.B.M.’s full suite of Lotus products can run with the BlackBerry devices. Apple would need to free more information about the inner workings of the iPhone and its base software to see comparable support from I.B.M., Mr. Cavanaugh said.

“I don’t see the iPhone as a challenger to R.I.M. as a sort of comprehensive business platform, but it is starting to enter the enterprise,” Mr. Cavanaugh said.

source

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.